KYBELLA™ is deoxycholic acid, a chemical produced naturally by the body, administered by injection for improvement of moderate to severe fullness associated with submental fat under the chin in adults, also called “double chin.”
KYBELLA™ is delivered to the area of fat under the chin through a series of specifically placed tiny injections with a fine sterile needle. On the day of your treatment the area will be cleaned and a pattern of injection dots will be applied under the chin. The area may be iced before and after and a numbing agent may be added to the product to aid in your comfort. We administer a local anesthetic injection to the area to minimize discomfort. Most patients do not feel the actual KYBELLA™ treatments at all!
Patients require 2-6 treatments to see desired results depending on the severity of their submental fat. These treatments are spaced 6-8 weeks apart. We can estimate the number of treatments at your consultation appointment. The effects of KYBELLA™ have shown to be permanent!
Treatment with KYBELLA™ is an easy process. You come into the office and we photograph you, mark the treatment area, and administer a numbing medication to the treatment area. We then clean the area and place a template with dots on the treatment area to guide the most effective areas of treatment. KYBELLA™ is then administered and this usually takes 10 minutes. Most patients to not feel the treatment. Following the treatment we place a pressure bandage to help reduce swelling.
After treatment, the area may feel sore, “jiggly,” full or heavy from the product and swelling from your body’s reaction to the product. The area may appear larger than before the treatment.
- We apply a pressure bandage to reduce the risk of excessive swelling. This needs to remain in place for 24 hours, if possible.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity/exercise 24 hours post treatment.
- After 24 hours, no bandage is needed.
- For any post treatment discomfort, Tylenol can be taken. Try to avoid anti-inflammatory medications, if possible.
Prior to KYBELLA™ Treatment Let Your Doctor Know:
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have had or plan to have surgery or cosmetic treatments on the lower face, neck, or chin.
- If you have or have had recent medical conditions including any type of infection in or near the neck area.
- If you have are having trouble swallowing.
- If you have or have had bleeding problems or are taking blood thinners.